Please note. Applications for the 2019-21 programme have closed
Scottish Gymnastics is delighted to announce that the BSc Developing Athletes Through Professional Practice degree will continue for a second intake with coaches starting the programme in September 2019. The programme is part of our commitment to support the development of world-class coaches across a number of gymnastics disciplines.
In conjunction with Edinburgh Napier University and supported by sportscotland, the degree focuses on developing high-quality coaches by giving them the skills and knowledge to further develop their gymnast’s performance behaviours, psychological skills whilst allowing them to thrive in effective environments.
Consisting of five independent modules delivered by sports coaching experts, each coach will explore how athletes learn and master new skills and how the coach can positively influence their learning and development.
As a fully matriculated student, you will have access to Edinburgh Napier’s teaching staff, online learning platforms and support staff to assist you in your journey through the qualification. Unlike a typical degree, the coach will use a variety of methods to present their findings including video, online submissions and group presentations, all going towards your final assessment.
Enough from us… let’s hear some thoughts from the coaches currently on the programme.
The degree programme has enabled me to have a greater theoretical understanding within my current coaching. I’ve realised I could use different methods and techniques to improve my gymnasts ways of thinking, their mental state of mind which in turn could improve their overall gymnastics
I found the workshops with coaches from other disciplines very beneficial. Gaining their viewpoints and discussing the challenges and solutions that they have encountered have helped me reflect on situations and options within my own coaching practice
The course is designed to enable you to develop your personal skills in a progressive and logical manner, and the assignments were very relevant, being geared towards the practical application of the theories and study topics within your own specific environment’
I would recommend this course to coaches of all levels who have an interest in developing their own skills to provide their athletes with a positive sporting experience, progression and transitions through, and beyond their sporting career
Quick facts about the programme:
- Upon completion of all modules you will be awarded a full BSc degree from Edinburgh Napier University.
- Course is open to all gymnastics disciplines
- Acts as advanced CPD for coaches by giving them the skills and knowledge to further develop their gymnasts' performance
- 2-year course made up of five modules (September 2019 - August 2021)
- 12.5 contact days with Edinburgh Napier University plus 3 addional days with mentor
- Heavily subsidised by Scottish Gymnastics for each applicant residing and coaching in Scotland meaning each candidate will contribute £650! (several payment plans can be arranged)
- Applicants to be at BG Level 3 and above (from any discipline)
- Interested candidates should have evidence of prior learning equivalent of HND, HNC, SVQ 3 and above (in any subject/profession) or alternatively be able to demonstrate academic ability through pre-programme activities (this will be arranged by Scottish Gymnastics)
- Please note SAAS funding is not eligible for this course
Please find the full prospectus here
Please find the application here
- Applications will go live on Friday 28th June
- Applications will close 9am on Monday 29th July
- Candidates will be notified if their application is successful or not by 12pm on Wednesday 31st July
- Interviews will take place through w/c Monday 12th August at Scottish Gymnastics Head Office in Edinburgh (skype interviews can be arranged)
- Successful candidates will be notified no later than 5pm on Friday 16th August
- Module 1 starts Monday 9th September at Edinburgh Napier University, Sighthill campus.
Please contact Giles Lomax (Performance Coach Development Manager) firstname.lastname@example.org or 07912 937 567 and he will be happy to answer any questions you may have about the programme.