********Please note: Applications have now closed********
Are you a coach with the ambition, aspiration and potential to deliver success on the world stage? If so, then read on!
Scottish Gymnastics has created a tiered performance coach development programme to provide a comprehensive, bespoke and individualised support system for identified coaches across all disciplines who have the potential to achieve British and Scottish medal success.
Already an existing high-performance coach? Then we will tailor your development plan to meet your needs and future aspirations…there’s a learning opportunity for everyone!
We will support you to engage in world-class education by providing formal and informal learning opportunities, subsidised support through qualifications, allow for a greater level of self-understanding and self-regulation, technical mentoring opportunities and enhance your overall coaching practice. The programme doesn't involve you sitting in workshops or attending lectures, you are in control of your learning journey!
Your individual development plan will be agreed between you, Scottish Gymnastics and your supporting club over a minimum of two years.
Applications for the 2019-2021 programme are now closed. However, if you have any questions about the programme please email Giles Lomax (performance coach development manager) at email@example.com.
Do I match the criteria?
- The performance coach development programme for coaches working across any gymnastics discipline
- Coaches must be actively coaching in Scotland
- Coaches must be operating at the elite, pre-elite or development level i.e. Level 3 - 5
- Elite athletes (NPP/represented GB or Scotland internationally) with future coaching ambitions are encouraged to apply to the programme to provide an opportunity to develop their coaching skills within a supportive and individualised programme
- Selected coaches must attend all agreed mentoring dates, sessions with the performance coach development manager and any courses facilitated by Scottish Gymnastics
So what does the actual programme look like?
- Delivered over a two-year period, the programme will accelerate the development of coaches by providing them with the skills, knowledge and experiences to deliver consistent results within a high-performance context
- Each coach will complete a 360° analysis of their current coaching practice exploring their strengths, weakness, values and behaviours and overall target/aims
- Each coach’s support will be classified based on whether they are currently operating at podium, podium potential or progression level aligned to the performance plan outcomes - see support classification below
- An agreed subsidy will be offered based on the classification of the coach. Podium up to 75%, podium potential up to 60% and progression up to 50% subsidy for all agreed activity.
- A tailored support programme will be created in partnership between Scottish Gymnastics, the coach and the supporting club.
- Each coach will receive significant support both financially and from technical, and non-technical experts including mentors and discipline specific national technical advisors to enhance their overall coaching practice.
- The coach will work closely with the performance coach development manager to develop their non-technical coaching skills, performance behaviours and enhance their reflective practice.
- The coach will work closely with the performance department to ensure their coaching practice aligns to the Scottish Gymnastics philosophy of ‘athlete-focused, coach-led and performance-driven’ and discipline-specific performance pathway.
The number of years to medal success refers to how far away gymnasts are from achieving that goal. i.e. coaches in the podium tier are working with gymnasts who are likely to achieve British and Scottish medal success in four to six years.