The gymnastics activity instructor accreditation is a comprehensive four-day training course. Once completed, instructors can deliver fun and safe gymnastics-based physical activity to school-aged children and adults.
This instructor accreditation provides an alternative to the traditional coaching pathway, allowing anyone to upskill and lead delivery of low-level gymnastics skills to recreational participants; supervise others, and support the growing demand for recreational gymnastics activity in clubs, leisure centres or schools.
> Learn more about the gymnastics activity instructor course
Gymnastics Activity Instructor Course Information
Who is the gymnastics activity instructor course for?
The gymnastics activity instructor course does not require any gymnastic experience and is open to those aged 18 and over who would like to deliver gymnastics in clubs, leisure centres or schools. It is a standalone course that is a great choice for those new to delivering gymnastics, volunteers or parent helpers who wish to become accredited. It is also an option for coaches with a UKCC Level 1 (or equivalent) who wish to lead delivery, and those who might not be ready to choose which path to take.
What does the gymnastics activity instructor course cover?
The training covers the responsibilities when delivering in different gymnastics environments and includes practical sessions, exploring fundamental shapes, positions and movements in gymnastics, such as jumping and balancing, and how to use different pieces of apparatus such as benches and wall bars. You do not need to bring participants with you to be course demonstrators, you do not need a mentor. However, learners are required to participate in practical activities throughout the course if they are able.
What is the assessment process?
Learners will be assessed by their tutor through on-course continual assessment on
• demonstration of knowledge and understanding
• instructing skills
• safe practice
Those found competent at the end of the course will be accredited as a gymnastics activity instructor and can start delivering sessions straight away within any Scottish Gymnastics recognised environment.
> Find gymnastics activity instructor courses
Cost to Scottish Gymnastics members: £399
Non-member fee: £519
- To access the member course fee please ensure you have a minimum of silver membership. If currently a bronze member, you can upgrade during the enrolment process.
- If you intend to coach within a Scottish Gymnastics registered club, it is a mandatory requirement for you to attend a wellbeing & protection course and access a PVG through Scottish Gymnastics.
- Please read the Scottish Gymnastics terms and conditions and payment policy. You are agreeing to both the terms and conditions and payment policy by enrolling onto the course.
- Scottish Gymnastics members may qualify for a sportscotland coach education subsidy for this course.