Gymnastics in a Safe Environment (Safeguarding)
Gymnastics is a brilliant sport which can have a positive influence on children and young people. As the governing body for the sport in Scotland, we want them to stay safe and have fun while taking part.
We work with our registered clubs to support and promote a safe and rewarding environment in which young people can develop their skills and confidence.
Scottish Gymnastics is committed to developing policies, procedures and coaching qualifications as well as providing help, guidance, education and training opportunities for clubs.
Our robust Safeguarding procedures mean that all registered coaches and everyone working with children in clubs, such as helpers, team managers, chaperones, judges, and officials, are PVG checked through Scottish Gymnastics and undergo mandatory safeguarding training.
To better understand, we would encourage all parents and carers to ask about the safeguarding procedures in the club your child attends.
Some key questions to ask are:
1. Is your club registered with Scottish Gymnastics (SG)?
2. Are all the coaches, helpers and officials working with children and young people within the club members of Scottish Gymnastics?
3. Have all coaches and helpers working with the children and young people been recruited in accordance with SG procedures?
4. Have all coaches and helpers working with the children and young people attended Safeguarding training organised through SG?
5. Does your club have a named and trained Safeguarding Officer, whose role it is to co-ordinate the protection of children, in place?
6. Are there procedures in place for reporting any issues or concerns about the wellbeing of children and young people?
7. Are all the coaches qualified and insured to the appropriate level?
8. Does the club have a Safeguarding Policy which reflects SG guidelines in place?
9. Does your club operate a sign out register for the children?
10. Does your club hold relevant medical and special requirement information on each child as well as parent/guardian emergency contact details?
For Information on Reporting Concerns: Click HERE