Did you know that 80% of Scottish Gymnastics members are under the age of 18? You could probably have guessed, looking at the people in your classes or club!
The Gymnastics Youth Forum is a formal group being established to represent our younger membership and be the voice of children and young people in gymnastics in Scotland.
This forum will meet with Scottish Gymnastics staff and stakeholders to give their views on specific topics.
• gymnastics pathways, i.e. participation, competitive, performance
• coaching and judging
• clubs and safeguarding
• communications and social media
The group will be made up of up to 12 children and young people aged between 10 and 24 who will be identified through a formal recruitment process. These will be two-year positions, from 2019 to 2021. It is essential we have a range of experiences and gymnastics journeys within the group to represent our membership, and we aim to have a minimum of one primary school-age person.
The forum will meet up to four times a year across the country on weekends or during holidays to minimise clashes with training, coaching, school, university, and work commitments. Scottish Gymnastics will cover travel expenses in line with our volunteer expenses policy for getting to meetings, and will provide appropriate catering.
We are looking for Scottish Gymnastics members aged between 10 and 24 to join the forum. If this is for you, we want to hear from you. Click links below for full information and how to apply.
Children and young people’s views inform and influence the aims, values and development of Scottish Gymnastics
Purpose and Role
• Work as a collection of children and young people with Scottish Gymnastics staff to advance the strategic plan, developing our communications and programmes across key functional areas of the organisation
• Influence the wider sporting agenda through key partners and stakeholders and the importance of sport on the lives of young people
• Identify and develop the future leaders of our sport in Scotland
• Increase the profile and reputation of gymnastics in Scotland, the UK and beyond
• Provide an interactive platform for the Scottish Gymnastics staff team and our membership, to network and offer collaborative approaches to areas of work, share knowledge and expertise
• Provide learning and development opportunities for young people, developing key transferable skills for their future development
• Act as a key advisory group for staff, board sub-groups and Scottish Gymnastics’ board of directors