1920 - 1950

Following the end of the First World War, sport became a viable activity for people to remain involved in, due to the health benefits that it provided, as well as keeping the men in the country well prepared for battle. The Scottish Amatuer Gymnastics Association took a step away from the sports that made gymnastics seem militarised, and shortly after they seperated themselves and formed their own autonomous governing bodies. The fencing union, established in 1923, and the boxing and wrestling federations separating allowed for gymnastics to become a sport in its own right.  

In 1923, the first president, Walter McGregor stepped down, and David Scott of Dunfermline was voted to replace him. The Walter McGregor Testimonial Fund was established, and Scottish Gymnastics vowed to give £2 (approx. £560 in modern terms) to the fund, which would be invested into sports. The late 1920's saw some changes in the rules for gymnastics competitions in Scotland, where team sizes were cut to four instead of eight, and the equipment used was to be regulated for both fairness and safety of the athletes. The rules also stated that there should be no age limit for the competitions, so long as the athletes could complete the event and its basic physical requirements. Rules over prizes were also changed, so that a winner would, for the first time, receive a gold medal for winning rather than a single bronze. 

In 1927, The Western district was dissolved due to lack of affiliated club members, and therefore a lack of affordable competitions, a decision that was overturned by recommendation of the Scottish National Physical Culture League in 1933.

In terms of Women's Gymnastics, prior to this era, women were barely mentioned. The sport was male dominated in the early years, due to the militarised view of the events. However a British women's team won an all-round team bronze at the 1928 Olympic Games in Amsterdam. One member of this team was Carrie Pollard, the mother of Jill Livingstone who later became involved in the development of Sports Acrobatics in Scotland. Following the women's success at those Olympic games, a team of Icelandic female artistic gymnasts performed at the Corstorphine town hall (near Edinburgh) in order to promote the sport to women, and to suggest that Scotland should aim to increase female participation. 

In 1932, the girls of Alloa Gym Club, one of the first to send females to competitions, performed in a cinefilm for the local newspaper, and further films were created and supplied to the general sports council in order to help female gymnasts learn the sport that their male counterparts had been competing in for a number of years. In 1938, the first women competed in a vault event at a district association competition in Scotland, whereas before they had been separated from the main event. 

As the Second World War approached, the Scottish Gymnastics Association made the decision to discontinue all national championships, and for a period, gymnastics in Scotland once again became militarised. Scottish gymnastics on the whole paused, and it was not until well after the war was over that people could get back to their training. The decision was also made that,

'All gymnastics clubs that aren't affected by the government take-over should do all in their power to foster and retain interest in apparatus gymnastics and that all gymnasts that could use their skill for charity should not require any special permission'. (A quote from the S.A.G.A Minute book).